Register Now: M.A African & Diaspora Studies M.A Program
M.A AFRICAN AND DIASPORA STUDIES (FULL TIME AND PART TIME)
About the Programme
In response to the global, regional and local needs for specialists in African and African Diaspora studies, in collaboration with other cognate Faculties in the University and the University of the West Indies have developed a joint academic Master of Arts/Master of Science programme in African & Diaspora Studies. This programme is designed to promote local and international awareness of African realities in an interdisciplinary matrix, including the humanities, social sciences and some cognate professional fields. The resource persons consist of seasoned academics in the various aspects of African studies as well as academics interested in global Africa’s indigenous knowledge systems and their relevance to contemporary existence.
The objective of the African & Diaspora Studies M.A Programme is to provide an opportunity and platform for graduate students to engage in intensive study and research on Africa, its history, science, technologies, philosophy, culture and experiences on an interdisciplinary basis. The programme is designed to promote local and international awareness of African realities in an interdisciplinary matrix including the humanities, social sciences, and some cognate professional fields. The programme is a platform for advancing training of Africa and African Diaspora specialists committed to both academic excellence and social responsibility in the Black pluriversalist world and the broader global community.
a. This programme is open to holders of Bachelor’s Degree in any of the Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences and Business based disciplines from the University of Lagos, University of the West indies, or any other recognized University;
b. A candidate may be required as a condition for admission, to undergo a selectioin process in the form of written and/or oral examination;
c. Candidates who have not completed the National Youth Service Corps programme (in the case of Nigeria) or currently undergoing a Postgraduate programme need not apply. Such applicants are automatically disqualified;
d. All academic transcripts of candidate must be presented on or before the commencement of the session for which admission is being sought.
1. Visit http://spgs.unilag.edu.ng/
2. Click on 2018/2019 Application
3. Then click on the “Application Form”
4. Now, click on “Start a Fresh Application”
5. Select Application Type: click on ‘Postgraduate’
6. Read the term and condition and scroll down to close it.
7. Provide the details in the fields below to obtain a Payment Reference Number. (You will receive an email voucher in the email account provided). After you have filled the form, submit to generate your payment voucher
8. Click on Pay online only if you want to make an online payment
9. Otherwise, print the email voucher and take it to any branch of the designated banks stated below:
1. Access Bank Plc .: All branches of Access Bank nationwide.
2. Ecobank Plc All branches nationwide.
3. First Bank Plc : All branches nationwide.
4. Guaranty Trust Bank Plc : All branches of Guaranty Trust Bank Nationwide.(and internet banking platform)
5. UBA Plc : All branches nationwide.
6. Union Bank Plc : All branches of Union Bank Nationwide.
7. WEMA Bank Plc : All branches of Wema Bank nationwide.
8. Zenith Bank Plc : All branches nationwide.
10. Pay the sum of N22,500.00 (Twenty Two Thousand Five Naira) for the Form, the SPGS Abridged Prospectus and bank charges.
11. After payment, return to School of Postgraduate Studies website www.unilagspgs.edu.ng, click the 2017/2018 Application link, then Application Form link, login with Payment Reference Number as username and provide surname in lowercase as password.
12. Click the Edit Application form link to fill the Application form and upload digital passport photograph (jpeg format) which should not be more than 15 kb in size and must be in white background. The acceptable dimension is width: 275 pixels or 35mm, height: 314 pixels or 40mm. (Failure to comply with specified image format may lead to disqualification.)
13. Click “SUBMIT FORM” button if the information is correct, else, click DECLINE button. After submission, applicants will be required to print the completed Application Form and Acknowledgement Slip. Printed copies of the Application Form along with credentials are to be submitted in the respective Departments.
14. Candidates are also required to LAMINATE their Acknowledgment Slip, this will be required for presentation at the entrance examination.
- All academic transcripts must reach the Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies on or before the beginning of registration. Original Certificates/Transcripts must be presented during registration exercise.
- Deferment is not encouraged.
- Part-payment of Tuition/Obligatory Fees is not allowed.